Boleh buat wasiat sendiri?

Saya Mr DIY, saya suka buat apa yang boleh saya mampu buat, sendiri.

Boleh buat wasiat sendiri?

Kalau harta tak seberapa, atau harta beratus juta dan yakin pewaris tak akan berkecoh, boleh buat sendiri. Kalau anda seorang peguam, buat sendiri je kerana anda arif akan peruntukan undang-undang.

Yang paling penting dalam sesuatu wasiat adalah perlantikan wasi. Seseorang yang ada lantik, anda percaya akan sifat amanahnya dan mampu bertindak kehulu kehilir menyelesaikan pembekuan aset anda.

Kos? Semua ada kos. Itu sendiri mau timbanglah. Tapi kalau ada kengkawan yang biasa buat ni, tanyalah mereka, mungkin kos anda hanya secawan kopi.

Ini nasihat untuk wasiat DIY. Risiko sendiri tanggung tau. Nak kepastian, cari mereka yang arif.

Dari sumber theedgeproperty

Obtain letters of administration

Pembahagian harta pusaka kecil telah dibincangkan dalam artikel ini.

Berikut adalah artikel dari seorang peguam, Khatijah Shaik Hussain.

Yang penting ialah buat perancangan atau segerakan penyelesaian.
Jangan biar harta terbeku, please.


How to obtain letters of administration via small estate mode

UPON the death of a person, a member of his family or a person interested in his estate must take charge to administer and distribute his estate.

Upon his death his assets, such as his bank account, are frozen. No one can deal with them and things will be left in limbo.

If he has left a will, then they can apply to the High Court for what is called a probate, by which an executor to his estate will be appointed in accordance with the will. If, however, he died intestate, i.e, he has not left a will, then they can apply for letters of administration (LA) to be appointed as the administrator of his estate.

There are three ways one can go about obtaining LA.

Firstly, they can apply to the High Court.

Secondly, they can apply to Amanah Raya Bhd. But, this is for cases where the estate consists only of movable property and is valued at RM600,000 or less.

Thirdly, they may apply to the land office as a small estate. This is done under the Small Estates (Distribution) Act, 1955. They can apply as a small estate only if three conditions are complied with. First, the total value of his assets must not exceed RM2mil. Second, the deceased person must not have left a will. Third, there must be immovable property (e.g, land, house or apartment) in the name of the deceased within the jurisdiction of the land office.

It is this last method of obtaining LA that we will discuss here.

This is a cheap and, usually, fast mode of obtaining LA.

It is much cheaper for the simple reason that there is no need to appoint a lawyer as lawyers are generally not allowed to attend the hearing. The land office also does not charge any fee for filing of the petition for LA.

The applicant starts by completing Form A prescribed under the Small Estate (Distribution) Regulations. It is a simple form, available online or from the land office. In essence, it lists down all the assets and liabilities of the deceased as well as his beneficiaries. After completing the form, it must be signed by the applicant before a commissioner for oaths. Form A must be filed with the land office.

A copy each of the following documents must also be filed at the same time:
> the identity card and birth certificates of each beneficiary;
> the deceased’s marriage certificate, if any;
> the deceased’s death certificate;
> evidence of his assets, such as share certificates, savings accounts book, bank statement, motor vehicle registration card, EPF statement;
> either a certified true copy of the land title or an official title search from the land office;
> (where the immovable property has no separate title) the sale and purchase agreement;
> the current quit rent and assessment receipts.

Generally, within three months after filing the application, the land office will issue a notice to hear the application. The notice will set the time and date of the hearing.

The applicant and other beneficiaries must attend the hearing, which will be conducted by the land administrator.

The applicant must attend the hearing. Any other beneficiary, however, who is unable to attend may submit a letter of consent by completing Form DDA, available online or from the land office, which must be signed before a commissioner for oaths.

Form DDA will specify the beneficiary’s wishes as to the distribution of the estate and may also opt to renounce his share in favour of another beneficiary.

Everyone attending the hearing must bring along their original identity card. The applicant must also bring along the original of the other documents, copies of which were filed with the Form A.

During the hearing, the land administrator will need to be satisfied with the particulars set out in the Form A, verify the identity of the applicant and the beneficiaries, the assets and the beneficiaries’ entitlement.

The land administrator will then proceed to grant LA to the applicant and to make an order for distribution of the estate.

For Muslims, distribution will generally be according to Faraid law. For non-Muslims, the distribution will generally be in accordance with the Distribution Act 1958, which determines the share each beneficiary is entitled to.

However, if the land administrator is satisfied that the beneficiaries are in consensus for the estate to be distributed differently, the administrator can make an order according to the consensus.

Fees are payable for grant of LA to be issued:
> RM10, if the value of the estate is between RM1 to RM1,000
> RM30, if the value of the estate is between RM1,001 to RM50,000
> 0.2% of the value of the estate, if it is more than RM50,000.

The administrator of the estate of the deceased has the duty to do the following:
> utilise the assets of the estate to pay for funeral expenses and the costs in obtaining the grant of LA
> settle the liabilities of the deceased
> distribute the balance of the estate to the beneficiaries.

For movable property, the administrator of the estate will produce the grant of LA to various parties like banks, the EPF and Tabung Haji, for withdrawal of money and transfer of ownership of assets.

For this reason, it is advisable to apply for several copies of the grant of LA, as each authority, agency, company or bank will require this to be produced to transfer the asset. The land office charges a fee of RM5 for each copy.

For immovable property where there is a separate title, the administrator of the estate has to forward to the land registry or land office the grant of LA together with the original property title, for transfer of the property to the beneficiary. No fee is charged for this.

In conclusion, obtaining LA by way of a small estate application is an attractive option, both in terms of cost as well as efficiency. Its use should be encouraged. Perhaps the authorities can consider removing the requirement that there must be immovable property before an estate can qualify as a small estate.

That would alleviate the pressure on the courts as well as provide a cheap, speedy and efficient means to attend to estate matters.

The writer, a lawyer practising at Messrs G. Ragumaren & Co, is a member of the Conveyancing Practice Committee, Bar Council, Malaysia. This column is brought to you by the Malaysian Bar Council for your information only. It does not constitute legal advice.


Berharta tapi gagal merancang, kenapa?

Sumber berita

KUALA LUMPUR: The Syariah High Court here has allowed the wife and children of the late Tan Sri Dr Jamaluddin Jarjis to intervene in an application for faraid (inheri­tance and wealth distribution) certificate filed by his mother over the deceased’s RM2.082bil estate.

Syarie lawyer Kamar Ainiah Kamaruzaman said there was no objection from her client, Aminah Abdullah, 84, for Jamaluddin’s family to intervene. Jamaluddin died in a helicopter crash in April 2015.

“Today’s matter was fixed for case management as the widow and children have applied to intervene. There is no respondent in the application.

“We welcome (the intervention) as this is a matter among the next of kin,” she told reporters when met at the Syariah Court Complex here yesterday.

Aminah filed the application for faraid certificate through Messrs Kamar Ainiah & Co on March 2.

Under Islamic law, a living ­mother has the right to one-sixth of the estate while a living widow has the right to one-eighth of the portion.

Living children will receive the remaining of the estate.

The application was brought up for case management before Kuala Lumpur Syariah High Court registrar Siti Zulaiha Mohamad Mansor who fixed another case management on Sept 13.

In her affidavit, Aminah said Dr Jamaluddin was survived by herself, his wife Puan Sri Kalsom Ismail, 62, son Ikwan Hafiz, 31, and three daughters, Nur Anis, 33, Nurul Alyaa, 27, and Noor Adilla, 23.

Jamaluddin’s father, Mohd Jarjis Md Ali, had passed on before him in 2002.

“I solely believe that myself and the other heirs have a rightful claim over the deceased’s estate,” she said in the affidavit.

Kamar Ainiah said Jamaluddin’s assets include 20 properties in Malaysia, the United States of America and Mecca, Saudi Arabia and several companies.

She said Jamaluddin did not leave a will and the percentage of the wealth distribution will follow the faraid law.

Jamaluddin, who was the former science, technology and innovation minister, died alongside five other people in a helicopter crash in Semenyih, Selangor on April 4, 2015.

Besides being the Rompin MP, Jamaluddin was the Ambassador to the United States and at one time held the portfolio as Second Finance Minister as well as being Tenaga Nasional chairman.

He had started out as a lecturer in Universiti Teknologi Malaysia before embarking on his colourful career as a politician and diplomat.


Ya, kenapa?  Ini bukan kes pertama, dah beribu-ribu kes sebegini.

Kasihan arwah kerana Siapa bayar zakat harta yang belum diselesaikan dan telah melebihi 3 tahun. Dimanakah wasi?  

Jadilah umat islam yang bijak wahai para pembaca sekelian. Harta berbilion, maka perlantikan wasi bukannya mudah wei... Tetapi jika dirancang dengan betul semasa hidup, hanya seutas surat sudah memadai.

Lagi lama kes bertangguh, ada potensi untuk kesulitan harta bertindih!

Sewa rumah arwah ayah milik siapa?

Ingin saya menarik perhatian umum akan pekara ini - Sewa rumah arwah ayah milik siapa?

Jika setelah peninggalan ayah, keseluruhan harta-harta pusaka ayah telah diselesaikan, Alhamdullilah - bahagia dan tenang ayah disana, in syaa Allah.

Jika tidak, bagaimana?

Pekara sebegini banyak berlaku didalam masyarakat kita pada masa ini.

Anak-anak berjaya dibesarkan oleh mak/ayah. Mereka kini tinggal di rumah banglo milik sendiri bandar-bandar besar, berpendapatan melebihi dari mencukupi dan mereka tak perlukan harta pusaka mak/ayah. Selepas kematian ayah, mak tinggal di rumah tersebut. Walaupun anak-anak mempunyai hak atas rumah tersebut, rata-rata mereka biarkan saja mak menghabiskan usia dirumah yang membawa seribu kenangan padanya. Tak pelah ada ucu atau achik, yang tinggal berdekatan tengok-tengokkan mak.

Gambar hiasan: Tingalan mak/ayah
Setelah mak juga menjadi arwah, rumah pusaka ayah kosong. Ucu/achik ada rumah sendiri. Ada orang datang meminta untuk menyewa, lalu disewakan rumah tersebut dan sewa tersebut dikutip oleh ucu/achik.

Bagaimanakah status sewaan bulanan tersebut tersebut sekiranya keluarga (adik-beradik) tersebut belum bersetuju atau selesai dalam hal pembahagian harta pusaka arwah ayah?

Gambar hiasan: rumah pusaka
Pada pembaca budiman, ini bukan pekara mudah dan pekara sebegini banyak berlaku ketika ini. Pada saya ia berlaku kerana faktor kekurangan ilmu harta pusaka lalu tanggungjawab diabaikan.

Sekiranya kita sebagai anak-anak, berkumpullah dan bawa berbincang. Jika harta kita dah lebih dari mencukupi untuk tampung kehidupan kita hingga akhir hayat, jangan jadi kejam pada adik/abang kita, kerana kita tidak jelaskan status sewaan tersebut. Paling tidak, isytiharkan sewa rumah arwah ayah saya tak perlukan, biar semua adik-beradik tahu yang kita tidak perlukan harta mak/ayah (nyatakan apa perlu dilakukan dengan bahagian hak anda), dan arahkan adik-beradik yang lain supaya segera selesaikannya. Dengan satu pengistiharan pada semua yang berhak, hak dan tanggungjawab anda dah selesai.

Ucu/achik yang mengutip sewa, tanya juga pada yang lain kerana ada hak mereka atas sewa tersebut. Jika digunakan terus-terusan bertahun-tahun, bagaimana nanti penyelesaian hak yang lain-lain tu?

Jika nilai kutipan sewaan tu melebihi nilai atau kadar nisab zakat, siapa pulak yang selesaikan zakat? Banyak lagi persoalan lain, jika ada lagi harta-harta lain selain nilai sewa ini.  

Sesungguhnya jika anak-anak betul sayangkan dan kasihani ibu/ayah, selesaikanlah harta mereka walau bagaimanapun payahnya. Jangan biarkan ianya tergantung? Gelang & rantai loket arwah mak siapa yang simpan atau pakai sekarang ni, yang lain dah bersetuju ke?
Minta maaf lah ye kepada kenyataan sebegini, "aku yang jaga mak siang/malam masa dia sakit, jadi akulah yang layak" - Anda perlu pelajari ilmu harta pusaka islam supaya tidak ditipu syaitan.

Sebagai mak/ayah pula, pesan & pesan & pesan pada anak-anak untuk segera selesaikan harta pusaka kita setelah kita meninggal. Buat pesanan atau wasiat & pesan tempoh masa penyelesaian. Tidakkah kita juga ingin bahagia dan tenang disana. Sesungguhnya kita tidak perlu masalah dunia dibawa ke alam barzakh.

Artikel sewa rumah arwah ayah milik siapa ini berdasarkan situasi terkini. Sama-samalah kita buka minda, renungkan dan merujuklah kepada yang lebih arif kerana kita tidak ingin termasuk dalam golongan orang-orang yang zalim atau terjebak dalam hasutan syaitan lalu memakan harta anak yatim. Tak berbaloi.